Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Maize and Blue Boy

It all started when the boys were getting their jammies on tonight. Well, let's not fib, it probably started way before that. Maybe when we dressed our lil newborn Cade in Michigan apparel every football Saturday and took him to his first tailgate at 10 weeks. Then preceded to take him to the Big House at 2 years old for his first game. Maybe it continued when I subconciously didn't buy red clothes because of my issue with the color red. Maybe it continued when we were screaming at the TV "GO BLUE" every fall Saturday. Perhaps there was some slight brainwashing, okay a little more than slight, but anyone that went to U of M knows where I'm coming from here. It's like a disease. You bleed maize and blue. Atleast we do in our family.


So then earlier today, Cade was supposed to wear red to preschool. He has said for a long time that his favorite colors were red and blue. I never opposed to it. I held back my hate for the color red until Cade asked me if I liked it. I told him that for some reason I don't wear much of it because it reminds me of the Buckeyes. You should have seen his face. As soon as I mentioned that word he about lost it. He immediately retracted his statement about liking red as his fave color, and I then had to let him know that it was okay to like red and still root against the Buckeyes. What a deep conversation this led to. Wow. He wasn't buying any of it. Am I an unfit mother?


So on to tonight. Mind you, it was past his bedtime so he was really tired and really whiny as it was. But, I had laid out his jams for him to get on after he got out of the bath. He saw that they were his Christmas jammies and that they were RED (I admit- they are cute- snowmen all over them) BUT that Colt's were some other blue ones with snowmen skiers all over them. He started to cry and throw a fit because he wanted BLUE ones. I wasn't havin' it. He kept crying and finally said- "But I don't want to wear Buckeye colors! I don't like the Buckeyes! And Colton gets Michigan colors! I don't like the Buckeyes mommy!" Yes- I was secretly gleaming inside, but it was a long day and I just wanted him to put on the jams and get to bed! Long story long- sorry- he finally put the RED jams on with a huge fuss and much coaxing from me.

Then right before I tucked him in he said, "It's okay, mommy, my jammies have some blue in them so they have a little bit of Michigan colors in them so I'm okay now. And Colton has some red in his! So there- he has some Buckeye colors on too! So, it's no big deal!"

I kid you not, folks.


I love this kid.


We will not go into his issues with the color green at this time. My fault too, whadaya know.




Yes, we all dress like this for EVERY football Saturday.

5 comments:

RicAnn said...

That is seriously one of the funniest things! Dave and I were talking about you the other day and how you wouldn't dress your kids in red :) But I feel you 100% that once you are in Michigan You live and breathe Blue and Maize! Ezra loves to wear football blue. GO BLUE!!!

Miss you and Michigan!!!
Loves xoxo

Abbigail said...

So So So funny. I am glad he hates the buckeyes. I do too. I am much too close to their fans now I am in Indiana. Luckily everyone is consumed with the Colts so I still see blue everywhere.
Cade is the best ever. Miss him.

We were shopping for Ryan the other day at TJ Maxx and they had a bunch of Indiana gear for sale. I thought maybe we should get Ryan a hoodie or something since he works there. Freya informed me that Daddy doesn't wear Indiana things, only Michigan. I took her advice and kept on walking.

Jenni said...

Way too cute! We have issues in our house with red, too, but for an entirely different rivalry. :)

Happy Hastings' said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard, but I completely understand. Growing up with the boys in my family... Love, and miss you guys!!!

Naomi said...

HILARIOUS! You crack me up! Any question as to where he's going to college...?